Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kids, Books

  I just got back from visiting my son Noel up in Corvallis.  We had lunch together and went on a stroll through C-town and discovered a "key" themed little free library. This box is Little Free Library #1603 and it's covered with ornamental keys and beautifully detailed miniature tiles.  This box's theme is "Reading is the Key to Imagination."  It was fun to stumble upon another box and talk with my wordsmith son Noel who practices his own poetry and art in Corvallis.
Noel checking out the box.

Exquisite craftsmanship & detail


  While I was visiting Corvallis a couple of new fir logs showed up in front of the box.  Cris & Kirk Jacobson had an ailing fir which needed removal and we snagged three sections to set in front of the box for seating.  A bit of this old fir is now a part of the neighborhood gathering spot.  Also of note, quite unbeknownst to me several neighbors bought additional gravel and spread an extra layer around the box.  This addition looks very tidy and also weathered the record five plus inches of September rain Eugene received.  Thanks to Robin for the gravel and to Cindy, Ben & Ann for spreading efforts.

New Sitting Logs
  We'll want to set the logs a few inches into the soil to prevent any tipping.  Something tells me some neighborhood bookish-elvish creatures will materialize shortly and I'll discover someone else who's helping out.  When I got back from town my neighbor Clyde was using one of the logs & perusing Kazuo  Ishiguro's An Artist of the Floating World.  As often happens at the box we started chatting and somehow got to the connection that both of us had bagged Sierra peaks in our youth on Sierra Club outings.  Small world, great neighbors, this is one cool project.

Youngest grandbaby Aliyah likes the box!



2 comments:

  1. What a nice library. It cheers me up to see these little libraries around town. When I see one, I think to myself that this must be a good neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly:

    I agree. One of our new neighbors was psyched when they saw the box. I enjoy scoping out neighborhoods on walks when I'm traveling and library boxes show a lot about an area.

    ReplyDelete