Thursday, October 10, 2013

Welcome Home

  I was traveling this week with work and enjoyed my post trip routine of relaxing at home and checking the library box.  I'm always curious what showed up when I was gone and this week was quite the treasure trove with five new adult books and four new kid books.

 Two neighbors dropped by and of course our conversations ranged from the box, to books, to our community, travels and reflecting on our lives.  There is something so powerful about the written word and its ability to provoke thought and personal reflection.  My neighbor Winston and I discussed plastic trash, DeFazio's timber harvest plans, the Pacific Gyre, Bill Moyer's Interview of Wendall Berry (It's here Winston) WWII veterans (both our Dads), our mortality, whitewater rafting and a spattering of other subjects.  All the while enjoying the new sitting stumps in front of the box.

  Another neighbor from up the hill explained to me how she takes the books she wants to read and arranges them on a particular shelf all together.  Then the next time she visits the box she peeks in and sees if "her" books are still there.  This is such a great way that the box is working to make connections.  I'm surprised we don't get more notes in our little log book, but one showed up this week which is a perfect sign off.

Cheers... and thanks to A & J for participating in our little library.


No comments:

Post a Comment