Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jared's Visit

  Tuesday night I headed out to the box to install some cabinet magnets which help to keep the door closed.  I noticed a young couple looking through the books and said hello.  It took me a bit, but then I realized that the young urban hipster with the sideways ball cap was none other than Jared a friend of my younger kids. Turns out Jared was visiting from LA where he's now living.  I hadn't seen Jared for several years and it was a small world experience to see Jared picking out a book.

  Jared and I talked about his life in Los Angeles and how active the gangs are where he lives.  He described how you don't stare anyone in the eye and all the young men look down when they walk.  My description of "urban hipster" might be a bit off with Jared, his tattoos and lanky young body fit more the urban skater, street kid moniker.  Regardless of the description we enjoyed a cordial chat and Jared's companion asked how she could donate some of her grandmother's books.  Very cool... this is exactly why the effort of building the box is worth it.

Jared's note in our log book
I've added a couple pages to the blog.  Here's a list of the books which have shown up:  Big Folks Books  & Kid Books.   I'm hoping to keep up with what comes through the box but frankly it took more time than I thought.  But it is interesting to peruse the list & see what a variety of material is moving through the library.  Along with the book list there's another key list of the neighbors who were instrumental in putting this project together. 

Thanks Everybody!
The Roof's on

No comments:

Post a Comment