Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Books

  Last night I walked down to the box and Voila!  There were new books.  Someone had filled out the remaining shelves with some great books.  I added a notebook for folks to say hello and leave any comments as they peruse the books.  Another neighbor is a primary school teacher who gets back from vacation next week.  She's promised to fill out our bottom shelf with a bunch of kid friendly titles.


  Several of the new books that showed up were Man Booker award winners.  One aspect of the Man Booker titles and authors that I like is the authors write in English but from a much broader cultural reference than typical American writers.  Phillip Roth has won a Man Booker, but this list of authors has introduced me to some of my favorites like Michael Ondaatje, Keri Hulme,Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Nadine Gordimer  & Ian McEwan.  Here's a goodreads list of Man Booker winners. 

My first pick from the box: Kiran Desai a Man Booker prize winner

3 comments:

  1. Let me know how The Inheritance of Loss is! I've been meaning to read that one for awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started it @lunch...devoured the first three chapters. The writing is excellent, very evocative of place, rich characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added it to my Goodreads! :)

    ReplyDelete